Sunday, March 26, 2006

On A Sunday

I saw a place in my journal where I had a dream once where Reeve was playing Air Guitar to Jimmy Eat World's On A Sunday. I remember smiling alot in that dream.

Today I went to church for the first time in a long time, the sermon was about building a new building, for "outreach". There was a Scripture thrown in the middle of the sermon, and afterwards at the ground breaking ceremony he talked about how the church needed people to meet their financial commitments to the project and then something that rung a tone in my ears as such, "The more you give, the more God consecrates you." Let's not forget the sentimental keyboard music stirring in the background. Revolting.

Do churches still do that thing called "the Bible"?

But boy, I tell ya, if I follow suit I can surely give an emotional message on why people should give me more of their money.

I read in a newspaper the other day an article about church. It was written by someone who professed to not be very religious or a christian, they made a great point. The point being that hot topics such as sex and lust and what not are preached very readily across American pulpits, but the topic of greed is not.

How come it's rare that I go to a church where a pastor isn't beefing up the congregation for money in one way or another? Why hasn't a pastor seemed to care about Christ first, and shown and expressed that we don't need manipulation to allow God to meet our needs, financially and spiritually and emotionally and physically?

Why don't pastors ever just say, "Listen, we don't need your money"?

Is it job security? Is it a desire to simply meet the status quo?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home